Sunday, October 12, 2008

Still waiting

We are still waiting for an opening in the surgery schedule. A transplant became available on Friday so that bumped everyone back a bit. We will be able to be in surgery at the earliest next Tuesday, but the doctors constantly tell us to not be surprised if we are bumped back later in the week or even the beginning of the next week. It's getting long but we are used to the idea of not going anywhere. We also decided that if he still has the IV in his head for Halloween that we are going to paint the IV cover grey and get a copy of the Jaws theme music to carry around when I get to take him for a walk in the halls during the day.

I got a mobile from the playroom today for his crib. Kind of made me sad. Around here, you aren't considered a "resident" until there is a hospital owned mobile hanging over your bed. He loves it though and it gives momma a break from holding him when he is fussy...he just looks and the mobile and starts smiling and cooing. You can't help but love the little turkey...just wish he didn't hav eto go through this. A mom I talked to today told me something that didn't make sense to me until I thought about it for a while. She said, "Heart kids carry the scar, but the moms feel all of the pain". While that is not true of the physical pain of open heart surgery, it is completely true of the inner pain that you feel when your child is going through this. I do feel blessed that he will have no memory of going through any of this. When he is a "big kid", he will have his scar, but the pain will be in my memory not his. I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

Brossettelewis said...

I'd be keying some doctors cars. Come on already, the waiting and anticipation is just as bad as the actual surgery.

Hopefully the waiting is almost over. :P

mccabe44 said...

Hey Amanda, I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and praying for you and your little man. I wish I could be there to keep you company but know I am here if you need something! Caryn