Saturday, December 20, 2008

Merry Christmas!!!

I can't believe that we have survived with even the small shreds of sanity we have left this year, but here we are with a healthy-as-he's-gonna-get baby. We have learned many lessons this year in faith, love, friendship, and letting-go. Some of these lessons have hit us square between the eyes. Some have ripped through our hearts. While others have been a soft awakening of things that we once knew but forgot at birth. I am grateful for the past year and all that it has offered. I am so happy to have my family together and all of my kiddos doing well. True friends are once again important to me. I wouldn't trade the lessons learned and the empathy/compassion gained this year for all the heart healthy babies in the world. I never asked why this happened to Ethan. I just know that it did and it is making us all stronger. I wish that he didn't have to go through everything that he has gone through and will go through, but I can look back at this point and say that while the heartache for him is still raw, the lessons learned from our struggles this year are starting to outweigh the pain. I've always heard that Heavenly Father doesn't put more on us than we can bear. I can now say that this is a false statement. He puts on us what He needs to, and makes us strong enough for the journey. Two years ago I could not have sat in a hospital room and watch my baby get worse everyday until they could work him into a surgery that he might not survive. Now, through the strength that Heavenly Father blessed me with (because it wasn't there before I asked Him for it) I can say that I did that, and would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to. I don't want to, but I can...

I hope that everyone can hug their own kiddos a little tighter this Christmas from hearing Ethan's story. If he can help just one kid get a hug, or an echocardiogram then his story would have done it's job. And all of this will have a purpose.

For anyone who has wanted to do something for my family...please spread the knowledge around that Congenital Heart Defects are (forgive the pun) heartbreaking. They are an underfunded branch of heart research and the most common birth defect in the world. More kids die of CHD than all kinds of childhood cancers annually...awareness leads to action. And these little heart babies need quick and decisive action now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your words say so much, i have many times wanted to write up something about what we have been through and what it has done to our family. you said it beautifully. We are so grateful to have met friends like you and Richard. Take care this holiday season and enjoy having your family together.